Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

When did Ford change the 1994 Ranger Pickup Truck Headlights

Customer Question

When did Ford change the 1994 Ranger Pickup Truck Headlights from 3 screws on the back to two screws and a rubber booted leg. I failed headlight inspection and Technician says the headlight was wrong , I ordered a new one and it is two legs and a booted bottom leg. When you install this the light will tilt up and down. Insp. tech doesn't give a rats A-- and I do not know what to do,. Ford dealer parts shows 2 adjustment screws and a booted leg.
If the 2 leags and boot are new what holds the light steady?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Below is a link to the 94 ranger headlight, can you better point out or explain what the issue is?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/94ranger.pdf

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's what is happening. I was cut off when sending original info and could not finish. I took my 1994 ranger in for its yearly inspection. The passenger headlight was broken. I ordered a headlight on the internet and it came in. I change the light out and took the vehicle back for a light adjustment and to get my inspection sticker. The mechanic told me the light was not the right one. I checked it against the one I took out and it was basically the same. The Mechanic insisted it was wrong and I came home called two Salvage dealers who had new Headlights but no Ranger trucks to check it out. Both dealers described the headlight as having two top adjustment screws and a rubber boot leg on the bottom. I called a local Ford dealer and spoke with their parts person and she stated that theirs was also two top screws and a booted leg on the bottom. She also emailed me a picture of the part breakdown for the light. The parts breakdown showed exactly the one I had purchased.The driver side headlight has the three bolts to secure it to the vehicle. The mechanic insists it needs to be that style or he cannot adjust the lights. He showed me that without the third bottom bolt the headlight can be moved up and down like it is loose.
My question is, I do not know what to do. Is this new headlight a modification and how does it sit or fit properly into my Ranger. Are you aware of this situation and if you do not know who would I contact?

The Ford diagram shows it to have 3 mounting studs as well. Any way you can show me a picture of the back of the original and replacement headlight?