Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ron my 16 yr old son just bought a 2006 f150 when kkey is

Customer Question

hi ron my 16 yr old son just bought a 2006 f150 when kkey is turned I hear a clunk from starter we charged battery jumped ground from battery to starter still no go so I put a breaker bar on crank bolt and cant turn motor over
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the person he bought it from said it started to run rough and the next day it wouldn't turn over it sounded like the starter was bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also oil is clean but smells like gas bad we thought hydro lok but that should have leaked down by now he also put a new exhaust on to
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Unable to spin the engine manually means the engine is seized, or there is a bent or broken rod, or a cylinder is hydro locked from fluid in the combustion chamber, or its out of time and the pistons are smashed against the valves. Since the oil smells like fuel, lets get the spark plugs out and see if it will crank now.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IF THERE WAS GAS IN THE CYL WOULDNT IT RUN INTO THE BASE EVENTUALLY AFTER SITTING

Yes it should seep by the rings, unless you have rings that are clogged with carbon, in that event it may take days for a full cylinder to drain out. It only takes 1 tables spoon of liquid in a combustion chamber to hydro lock it. Have you removed the plugs yet to see if the engine will now spin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just noticed the alternator is set up that would explain the rough running

I was unaware there was a rough running issue. Your original question states it will not crank nor will the engine turn by hand. What do you mean by the "alternator is set up"

Are you still needing help on this concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Glad I could help, thanks for taking a moment to rate my response.

I hate that you spent money here, and left, what appears to be not pleased with me or my help. I am still here and available to help. We can pick up where we left off or start over.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled 6 out still doesn't turnover gluing to remove valve covers tomorrow after work

Thanks for replying, if you need more help, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will didn't think it was going to be this bad. Still hoping it's going to break free

I doubt its going to break free, something has the engine locked up internally or externally, and when that occurs there is usually alot of damage beyond repair. Did you remove the belt from one of our prior discussions to rule out a locked up pulley to blame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and found the alternator pulley wouldn't spin

So the engine still will not turn with the belt off and 6 plugs removed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it true the cab has to be lift up to remove engine

The cab is not removed nor unbolted to remove the engine. Once you get those last 2 plugs out, if it will not spin then, head removal is required to see what has failed to see if the engine can even be saved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks that took a load off I was getting nervous I agree we will keep tearing it down piece by piece to find the problem I. Will Let you know

This post will time out and close on the 15th if you were not aware.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks had a hard time using it at first

Your welcome, once you rate the response it can not close then.