AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have 12v to both sides of my coil On my 1990 mustang GT

Customer Question

I have 12v to both sides of my coil
On my 1990 mustang GT 5.0
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! It sounds to me like there is no ground signal trigget at the ignition coil when cranking the engine over? Is so, check to be sure that there is 5 volts going to the TPS with the key on. Also, check to be sure that the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT turns off while cranking. This is very important. IF not, the computer does not see engine rpm while cranking. The most common cause of this no spark condition is a bad pickup inside the distributor. You can just replace the distributor as an assembly and that should get you going!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Another thing you can check or test to ensure that the problem is in fact inside the distributor is the PIP signal. If you have access to a lab scope you can check this signal from the distributor to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) pin 56 (Dark Blue wire). This should be a square-wave signal that toggles from below 0.5 volts to above 9 volts while cranking. If you dont have access to a lab scope, use a DC voltmeter and turn the engine slowly by bumping the starter or turning the engine by hand. Voltage should toggle from less than 0.1 volts to more than 11 volts as the distributor turns. If not, verify battery voltage going into the distributor on the Red/Light Green wire, verify a good distributor ground by checking for less than 0.5 volts on the distributor housing while cranking, and if all OK, replace the distributor or the hall effect pickup inside the distributor.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?