Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

1991 ford festiva. Has no spark when hooked up the a

Customer Question

1991 ford festiva. Has no spark when hooked up the a battery. When hookin battery cables to a battery charger it has spark but you can hear something ticking sounds like the injectors and it cranks and tries to fire for a while then it cranks slow like it's hydro locking on fuel. The original problem with this car was I was driving it and it just died. No sputtering or anything. Just died. Something electrical is going on with it. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

It appears you may be hooking up the battery charger with the key turned to the on position, if not then the ignition switch needs to be diagnosed for a possible short circuit.PLEASE rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, i will continue to answer your questions even after RATE is given is given ,until you are completely satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found that the battery I had in it was shorted meaning the positive post had continuity to the negative post. What could be the effects of this? The car just died in an instant.

Internal failure of the battery for unknown reasons, does the vehicle start and run with a different battery in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. We havr no spark when there is a new battery in the vehicle. But what is interesting is when you take the battery out of the equation and use a battery charger on the cables we regain spark but still have more issues something starts ticking. Sounds to me like injectors are just pumping fuel and the engine start to crank slow after a while like it's hydro locking.

Unfortunately it sounds like the powertrain control module has been shorted when the battery malfunctioned, check power and grounds leading to the PCM if good computer has suffered internal damage and will have to be replaced and reprogrammmed. This is the same issue if someone were to get the jumper cables backward during a jump start. PLEASE Rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not PLEASE ASK me another question I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given ,until you are completely satisfied with my answers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me pins and locations to check power and ground at my pcm?

Go here, alldatadiy.com has all wiring diagrams, locations, procedures, you will need, and a bonus you will be able to repeatedly access your infoermation specific to your vehicle for 6 month's.PLEASE Rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not PLEASE ASK me another question I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given ,until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to pay for anymore information. I wold like you to give me information on here. Then you will get your rating.

Sorry but info you are requesting is worth more to me ,than $12, I will opt out so someone else can assist you.