George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

How to wire HEGO to 92 f150 302

Customer Question

how to wire HEGO to 92 f150 302
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The O2 sensor is wired as shown here

>click<

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
just disconnect my pcm wire harness and ohm the circuit to see whats what on the hego side? I have a voltmeter, just not sure what mode to use to confirm each circuit
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what you are doing, here, the connector positipons are as shown in the diagram.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George,I can't go by color of wires in my harness, they have all been modified.
I am trying to re-wire my 02 sensor into the OBD1 system.
Previous owner hacked the wire harnesses.
I was able to find the four wires that go to the 02 sensor
Out of the four I have found
One 12volt positive wire that goes to the 02 sensor
Two 12volt ground wires that go to the 02 sensor
And one wire that is giving me a 10 point something volt reading on my multi meter
I had to purchase a new 02 sensor and a 02 sensor female plug connector.
I am trying to wire the female plug connector ( engine side ) to correct wires, so when I plug this connector into the 02sensor plug, my 02 sensor will work properly and I won't fry any fuses or worse.
Does that male sense?
So the boat I am in right now is, im trying to wire the female 02 sensor plug to the engine harness and all I have to work with is 4 wires that are cut open and ive volt metered each one to see what it is and that is where I came up with the results I have come up with, 1 12volt positive wire, 2 12volt ground wires and a wire than only gives me a 10 point something reading on my voltmeter. All readings were taking with key on position.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

What colors do you have on the new sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can let you know when I get home in 6 hours, im at work. But it would be whatever comes on a brand new 02 sensor for a 92 ford f150, its brand new
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will sleep tonight, let me know the colors of the new sensor and I can help you with where they connect to on your vehicle connector.

There are several configurations on the aftermarket sensors so once you check let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
thank you
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I will be back in the morning, let me know the colors.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

No need to reply til then, it locks my screen to your question, I will look for your post in the morning

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George,Got a bunch of data here for you. Will try to keep it as simple as possible to you.New o2 sensor wire colors are:
White
White
Black
GrayNew Female o2 Sensor wire colors are:
Pink
Green/Red Stripe
Black/White Stripe
BlackI still have the old o2 sensor and o2 sensor female plug. I will give you the colors of them as well.Old Female Plug Wire Colors:
Orange
Brown/Orange Stripe
Brown/Green Stripe
BlackOld o2 sensor wire colors:
White
White
Black
GrayI just did a few continuity tests at the pcm connector for pins 29 46 and 49 and have identified all 4 wires to o2 sensor.
Although i'm still not sure how to wire them correctly to my new o2 sensor like we have discussed.
I have identified the following circuits to o2 sensor:
Key On 12volts Positive to o2 sensor
Pin 29 circuit
Pins 46 & 49 circuit
Power/GroundSo last thing now is to properly wire each circuit to new o2 sensor.One last thing I want to mention in case it should be addressed also.
The new o2 sensor I purchased does not have the 2 external "slots" or "ribs" on the outside of the connector like the original did. The new female o2 sensor I purchased connector does have these 2 external "slots" or "ribs". Both connectors connect and the locking tab works that holes them in place. Issue? or no big deal?Also, one more last thing I noticed. I was on a ford truck forum before I contacted you and they were discussing the same topic on wiring the o2 sensor, they have a picture of the female o2 sensor like the one you first sent, but they have the 4 pin circuits labeled differently than the picture you sent me. Also, the 2 external "slots" or "ribs" were in different locations with the tab directly on top at the noon position. One slot is at 3 o clock and the other one is at 7 o clock. In the picture you sent me the two slots are at 1 o clock and 9 o clock with the tab also at 12 o clock.Okay that's it lol
thanks again
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, the pink/orange and black wire on the vehicle connect to the two white wires, does not matter which to which,

The grey wire on the sensor is sensor ground on the computer, should be a orange wire on the vehicle

The black wire on the sensor is the signal wire and should go to the grey/blue stripe wire on the vehicle.

Colors fade over time, let me know if you see those colors or something close. Does not matter where in the connector you place them.

We can make adjustments based on what you ware seeing if the colors do not match.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George,I cannot go by the color of wires from engine harnesss. I can only go by what I know each circuit is now from checking with voltmeter.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, the grey wire runs to 29 and the black wire to 49 on the computer.

The other two are the heater wires (white and they connect to 12 volts key on and ground which should be pink and black.

Let me know if that help

Thanks