Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My wife was driving my 2000 ford excursion and 't no if she

Customer Question

my wife was driving my 2000 ford excursion and don't no if she ran it out of gas or if the fuel pump is bad
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

If there is any doubt about it running low or completely out of gas, then i can almost guarantee you the pumpis bad. It uses the fuel as a lubricant for the pump motor and if its low or out, the pump will overheat. The good part is once it cools down it may very well start if it only got damaged a little bit. I would add new gas and try it. If still no start, then use a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail and get a good pressure reading. That right there will tell you if the pump is bad like i suspect it is.

LJ

Did you have any further questions?

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.