Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

I have a 1970 Mach 1 mustang with the factory AM/FM radio.

Customer Question

I have a 1970 Mach 1 mustang with the factory AM/FM radio. The radio has a bar above the buttons to switch from AM to FM and vice-versa. Recently, the radio started getting static only on the FM stations. The FM stations can be heard but the static is loud. The FM stereo light also has stopped lighting up when on a stereo station.
AM stations are clear and sound great. I have pulled the radio out and tightened all screws and insured the antenna was connected properly.
It gets the static whether the car is running or not.
Ideas?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, wanted to add that I have called some of the antique radio restoration places and have gotten some ideas. What I dont want to do is pay big bucks for service, get it back, re-install only to have the same problem. And as a result, discover it was some minor issue that was very minimal to fix.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The antenna on the mach 1 is in the passenger front fender. Sometimes the rubber grommet/insulator on the bottom of the antenna will wear out and ground the antenna to the chassis. I have seen this cause FM radio interference. How does the antenna mount look on your car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it out and get back to you in afew minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was not the problem. I unscrewed the antenna from the base and reinstalled. Still getting the static.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a multi-meter to check for resistance to ground in the antenna?

It's possible that the insulator for the antenna has grounded somewhere along the way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything seems to be fine. The stereo light was coming on before and now it does not when the redio picks up an FM station. Maybe an internal problem in the FM component of the radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As noted, the AM stations are coming in very clear with no static or whine at all.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I think you are probably right. A grounded and antenna would always get worse with the engine running and I just notice that you said the static is the same with it running or not. There is probably a fault inside the radio.

Do you want me to opt out so you can see if there is another expert who knows early model radio internal schematics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks again, although, I will probably get the same response from others. Lets see what another person weighing in thinks.Thanks again.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Let me know if you ever need any additional info on 1964.5 - 1972 mustangs. I love those cars and have rebuilt a couple of them in my time.

Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry folks, but this is an internal radio failure of the FM side of the radio, the clue was the lighting issue on the front of the radio, when FM stations are being recieved the bleed over from the failed led is causing the static problem, most likely. PLEASE rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, i will continue to answer your questions even after RATE is given ,until you are completely satisfied with my answer.

PLEASE RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.