HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

The air conditioner does not work on my 2006 Taurus. The

Customer Question

The air conditioner does not work on my 2006 Taurus. The compressor works when it is jumped, and then the car cools. Why won't the compressor work on it's own?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, where are you jumping the circuit for the compressor to come on? Does the cooling fans work when then compressor comes on when jumped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am jumping the circuit from the wiring of the compressor to battery +. The cooling fan doesn't come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cooling fan goes on when the black & yellow wire is grounded to the black wire.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

You are unplugging the coil and hooking up power and ground directly to the compressor or you are backfeeding the circuit through the connector? do you have power and ground at the compressor coil connector?Did you have power at the low pressure cycling switch and have you jumped it from there and compressor and fans come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The air conditioner works only when I jump connections 3 & 5 at the A/C clutch relay. OR when I remove wire at terminal 2 at A/C clutch relay and ground it (this normally goes to PCM). BUT compressor will not turn off at dash switch either way.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the pcm isnt seeing the ac demand(ac switch on input) it will not ground the relay.So need to see if any pcm codes are stored.If no codes are stored then need to verify the continuity of the ground circuit from the pcm and to the relay assuming the rest of the circuit is working properly.Before condeming a bad pcm.