EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have 2000 ford taurus it has had starter and ignition coil

Customer Question

Hi I have 2000 ford taurus it has had starter and ignition coil replaced . We did that because when u turn over car it just makes a clicking sound and still does after replacing parts. What else can I try?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. You can try turning the engine over by hand just to make sure the engine is not seized for some reason. If there is a lot of corrosion on the battery terminal or power cable that goes to the starter, there may not be enough amperage to crank the starter. Let me know what you find. thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No motor is not seized and the terminals and cables are fine. What else?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have you verified with a test light that when you turn the key to START, that there is power on the small wire at the starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok going to go buy test light now.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I will be offline soon, as I am eastern time. But if we need to we can continue this chat tomorrow. Thanks.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. What is the status of your vehicle? DO you still need help? Have any more questions? Let me know and please rate my service. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still not working. My husband had to go back to work . He is one week in and one week off so let me know what else to try and he will be back Wednesday to see if it works. Thanks
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Was power checked at the small wire on the starter when the key was turned to START position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power to starter
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You could have a bad starter relay. Lets first make sure power is in the correct spots at the relay. In the battery junction box, under the hood, locate the starter relay. A diagram should be in the owners manual. Then remove the starter relay. With the key ON, you should have power at pin 87 of the relay. Then with the key in the CRANK position you should have power on pin 85. Can you check that and let me know.