James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2000 expedition, 5.4, 4x4. I,ve been having

Customer Question

Chris, I have a 2000 expedition, 5.4, 4x4. I,ve been having occassional no start issues. I have power for lights,and all accessories but. no crack, no fire, no sound, nothing. the anti theft light blinks rapidly vwhen this happens. I,ve towed it twice to dealer but the system resets by time they get to look at it. no codes come up because of that. i,ve done the battery disconnect and all the wait for 10 min... excerta. ive done lots of research on line and have spoken with with neighbor woh is a GM mech to get ideas from him. i,ve replaced the transceiver and got two new oem keys. one i was able to program the 2cd key will not program and when i tried to turn over the engine with the 2cd new key there was continuous crank but no fire. the two original keys and the 1st new key,when it acts up, there is no crank.
We towed the vech. a couple weeks ago ourselves. got the vech. in driveway and tried to start and it fired up. three days later towed it half a mile tired to start and it started right up. last night hooked up tow strap towed the vech 20 feet, across parking lot,started right up. this morning no start. i PUSHED the vech 8 feet. put it back in park fired right up. it runs,drives great when its running. i,m second owner. clean car fax.
so as you can probably tell, when i move the vech with key on, in neutral, just a few feet, the anti theft resets, or something resets and it sarts fine. starts nice and strong, no hesitation, no studder.
any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

A big reason for the theft light to come on like that is low voltage. The PCM power relay can fail and this is one of the first symptoms you will see. I would replace the PCM power relay and this should finish fixing your concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James, I wil test my PCM relay and the voltage at the relay. what kind of voltage should i be getting at the PCM relay?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

At the PCM relay you should see 12v on two pins. One will have a constant 12v and the other will have 12v when you turn the key on. I usually swap the relay with the blower relay or AC clutch relay for testing. Sometimes when the corrosion builds in the relays it needs to get hot before it fails. The PCM and fuel pump relay are used the hardest since there always on.