Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I bought a 2007 f350 with 6.0 diesel. 32,000 MILES. Bought 2

Customer Question

I bought a 2007 f350 with 6.0 diesel. 32,000 MILES. Bought 2 days ago. The truck was warmed up and had been running before I took delivery. The next morning I went to start the truck, turned the key, all the lights came on as normal, waited for glow plug
light, turned key, nothing happened. Some of the lights went out as normal, but no starter noise, no cranking. Turned the key off, waited 10 seconds or so, turned the key and truck started normally. During the day I shut the truck off a dozen times while driving
it 300 miles to my home and each time it started properly. This morning I went to start the truck, normal dash lights but unable to start. No cranking, no starter noise, just noise from what appears to be a vacuum pump mounted on the inner fender passenger
size. I hav e tried to start a couple dozen times in the last 4 hours but nothing happens in the start position. I have tried starting in neutral and have wiggled the shifter while holding the key in the start position with no luck. There is no solenoid noise,
no relay noise and I even tapped the starter with a hammer. The headlights DO NOT dim in the start position. I have removed and cleaned all battery terminals and connections and checked visible ground straps. Batteries are good and fully charged. The truck
is like new, no leaks anywhere and all wiring that I have looked at is in mint shape. The truck looks like it is new.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have a test light or a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a volt meter
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, at the starter, there are 2 wires, a large wire going to the battery, which should have power at all tiomes, and a small wire going to the ignition, that shouldnhave power when cranking, can you check these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will check that
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power at small wire with key in "start" position. There is power at the large wire
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, is there a antitheft light flashing on the dash, when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a small light on the steering column near the tilt lever
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

No, this will be in the instrument cluster

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
turn the key on and these indicators light up: wrench,red seatbelt, ABS,, engine, glow plug, bat, brake, airbag (yellow).
Hold in the start position and these go out: seat belt, glow plug. The airbag indicator flashes and an indicator by the air bag switch glows for a bit then goes out.
The only other thing is the flashing red light by the tilt lever on the steering column
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, in the fuse box under the driverside dash, there is a starter relay, can you remove the relay and probe the socket for the relay, pin 30 =should have power at all times, and pin 85 should have power when cranking, can you check these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find a way to identify which one is the starter relay.
There are 5 large relays, all with the same part number and all have a pin 30 and a pin 85
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

below is a diagram showing which ine is the starter relay,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

I have to close up shop and head hom, I will be bcak online in about an hour and a half, if you would like to continue,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power at 30 with key on. NO power at 85 in start position
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

then you need to check the 31 fuse in the same fuse bix and see if it has power when cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the problem.
There was some sort of proximity disabler taped to the bottom of the steering column. I put it on the key chain and everything is normal.
What is this piece of crap? Can it be removed? Can't find anything in the Ford manual