James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My 2011 ford mustang 5.0 with newly installed battery

Customer Question

My 2011 ford mustang 5.0 with newly installed battery doesn't start. When cranked, it makes a click, but doesn't start. Also, all lights go off and I can't try again without taking a key out and waiting a few seconds. Does it short somewhere?
I connected floating charger and charged it up to full. It shows 12.5V. Still doesn't start with the same problem
If I connect a jump wire to other running car it does start with other car revvs the engine past 3K RPM.
Problem occurred for the first time a month ago. It happened a week or two after I did a detail that included engine bay detail. At that point I just replaced a battery, assuming it is bad. Problem didn't occur for about a month
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you have a connection problem. It sounds like either your positive cable is going bad or your ground cable is going bad. Most of the time it's due to the positive cable. If you have a multi meter you can perform a voltage drop test across the positive wire to see where the issue is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other then the obvious points around the battery, are there other easy wire connection spots to check first?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Well if you have a multi meter you can test from the positive side of the battery. Use the other lead on the meter and put it on a fuse in the fuse panel. It should read 0v. If you are getting voltage your problem is the power wire. You can go from the battery positive to the power on the starter. this should also read 0volts. If voltage is present then the positive cable will need to be replaced.