HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Swaped my auto trany to manal in my 7.3 powerstroke 2001 i

Customer Question

Swaped my auto trany to manal in my 7.3 powerstroke 2001 i splice 2 wires together to get the truck to start ( the 2 biggest ones on the wire harness for the auto trany) but aparently i need to splice 2 more together to get the truck to run right because
it skips sometimes wich wires would that be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

You bypassed the trans sensor wiring im guessing so the truck will start or you spliced together which wires on the trans bulkhead harness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only 2 i spliced where near the fender on driver side the grey connector for the auto trans but acording to the net 4 should b splice wich other 2 are they
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

the wiring is the trickiest part...the automatics came with 2 different setups i believe- one has more wires than the other. in either case, on the main plug that plugs into your transmission, the two biggest wires have to be spliced together. (i believe one is yellow with a red stripe and the other is blue with a purple stripe)...**dont hold me to that, its been a while since i looked at it.) splicing these wires should enable you to start/drive the truck, but i'd go ahead and order one from ford. you'll need the manual transmission wiring harness. (i paid $65 for it from the dealer.) it plugs into the harness up on the drivers side inner fender well and comes down and plugs into the reverse light plug, 4x4 indicator plug on t-case....etc.

Found this info on a diesel forum regarding a swap out ford sells a harness or as he mentions above

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thats not right saw that to other guys are saying you need to splice 4,two of them to get it to start( those 2 above that are mentioned ive done) 2 so it will run right the manual harness i have it only runs reverse lights and 4x4 lights in dash my truck skips when i give it fuel guys on net where saying 4 wires for the gear slector to make it start and run right you dont know wich ones they are?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hang on im lookin for the information as we speak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

still looking, every reference to photos of the wiring is offline from a dead picture host

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya i know ive surfed the web for 4 hours didint find anything thats why im here with you thought maybe a ford tech would know
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

I can only locate the two for starting, this isnt something that is done everyday in a dealership. We deal mainly with stock repairs. This is a modification. I will opt out and open the question to another expert or you can try and contact the main person on the several diesel forums ive been reading for the proper information,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will having the other expert cost me more tho i do not want that if it will
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

No, this is the only other info I have found

there are two 16 pin connectors about 1 X 1 inch in size, one black and one grey that are on the firewall drivers side under the master cylinder.
in those plugs you will find wire colors:
lt blue/pink
blk/pink
these are the reverse lights and in the black plug

tan/red
blue/orange

these are PARK/NEUTRAL/SAFETY and in the grey plug (according to nathan)

now - on the 4R100 portion of the PCS harness there are SIX unterminated wires - one will be ltblue/pink, blk/pink, tan/red and
blue/orange ----those need to be connected to the EXACT colors
in those two plugs.
nathan has a 2WD so did not attach the other two wires, but you
will want to match those with the wires in those plugs the same
way - i don't know what those colors are but those colors also match.

this will allow it to start.

*** nathan chopped off the other side of those connectors from the original transmission harness and soldered the matching wire colors to the loose pcs wires and plugged them back togeather, real clean install that way*****

on the rest of the TCU/ trans harness-
that twisted wire with the small connector is an extra for future use so dont worry about that one - people are usually confused about
that one when setting up the fuse/computer cable/ ground and
12V positive switched wires

NOW, on the 14 unterminated wires on the TCU part of the harness,
most of these are optional inputs.

but you will need to hook up the TPS wire (yellow and black) onto your throttle positions sensor so the TCU will know where the throttle is, one sensor ground, and the ref voltage.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Those instructions are for also including a programmer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stil wont say wich wires