Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

My 1993 Ford Escort Wagon LX is leaking fluid from the back

Customer Question

My 1993 Ford Escort Wagon LX is leaking fluid from the back of the steering wheel inside the car. What causes that and how us it fixed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, back of steering wheel I assume you mean behind dash, behind steering wheel but closer to the firweall behind dash and wheel? correct, maybe even some spots on the floor etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears to be dripping from the back of the speedometer, but it is difficult to see all the way in there because of all the wires, connections, etc. There are not just spots on the floor, but a puddle and a fairly consistent drip while driving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the speedometer sensor but it is still leaking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know how to fix this.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I fully understand but I must ask questions, I am not there and there are 3 possibles. So,, you said speedo sensor,, so, do you have an auto trans or manual trans>? does it drip only when driving or even sitting still

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

sorry, now see while driving, sorry so, do you have auto or manula trans?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Manual transmission and I believe it is only while I drive
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the 3 possibles? master cylinder, Clutch master cylinder OR the speedo cable as when they go bad? the fluid wick up the cable from the trans then drips on the floor, The brake master and clutch master can develop bad rear seals and do exact same type of leak so,, if clutch and brake fluids are NOT dropping down? well, kind of leans away for the masters cylinder so, back to speedo cable, The cable works like a barber shop pole, spiral, trans fluid is kind of spiraled up the cable then drips, I am not there so those are the items to check, I tend to lean to the speedo cable, It was a rather common fail item

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being a common fail item, are you aware if it was a recall item or do I need to look that up somewhere else? So my other concern is running out of transmission fluid. I have searched all the information I can find, and am unable to locate a transmission fill location or a way to check how full it is. Like I stated before, I have been unable to locate a mechanic who knows how to fix this. What do I do to fix this problem?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, assuming it is the cable? no recal and even if there was, would be way out of recall due to age and miles, It was a common thing we would see from time to time in the shop. not so common as to be a reall or free repair. You could run low on trans fluid but that would take lots of leaking for a good long time. If the cable? then I did state the cable would need changed as the repair so, if you follow the speedo cable to the sensor where it hooks on the trans? then the link I have included tells how to check and add fluid. 2 things, either do the cable or for time being keep eye on fluid level but it is not a 123 thing to do daily, here is the link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much transmission fluid should there be to be considered full? Or low. It has been leaking for a while. I know it usually looks like more than it really is, but I am a bit worried it will run out.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I sent all that in the link I sent, It shows this picture and explain how to check and add it, This is the ONLY way to check the fluid level, You ahve to follow the speedo cable to the sensor, remove the sensor, clean off, put it back it, pull back out and see where fluid level is, Here is a link to the picture

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check the link, did not see a specified amount of transmission fluid that I should buy to completely drain and replace it. So summing it up, since the Speedo sensor has been replaced, replace the Speedo cable. Also check the master cylinder and clutch master cylinder seals to make sure they are not worn out. Make sure my clutch fluid is full.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, your last question was how to consider low or full.not purchase amount. The trans holds 5.6 pints and uses Mercon V fluid

You really are not going to easily check master cyliner seals, All one can do to simplify is see if either is losing fluid. I can actually lick/taste brake fluid vs trans fluid and tell which is which, That is just a way I have used., For you? watch levels and yes, if master cylinders stays full? then speedo cable isbad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not plan on checking the seals myself. Since this has been such a problem that few seem to understand, I just wanted to make sure I would be able to get the correct info to a mechanic about what seals I was told about if the fluids do drop. I should have been more clear about how much fluid is needed to fill the transmission and not just what is considered low or full. I phrased my question wrong. I will be more specific should I have any more questions. I did not mean to have you repeat yourself, but was disconnected and had a difficult time getting back to where your most recent reply was. Thank you for your time and information. I do appreciate it. it.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. All is ok on my end, just wanted to be sure you did get all the information I could provide, I hope all goes ok for you on this, Glad to help