James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My1999 F 250 7.3 will not stay running unless I relieve fuel

Customer Question

My1999 F 250 7.3 will not stay running unless I relieve fuel pressure from fuel filer housing drain then levels off an run great
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Do you completely empty the fuel filter housing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not completely drain just open drain valve just a little an engine runs great fuel is draining or returning into fuel can
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

When you open the drain valve the fuel drains on the floor. The first thing I would do is replace the fuel filter first. When you open the drain valve does it act like there is air in the system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No air in system an there is a new fuel filter in housing with drain valve closed it runs a though it's missing an sputtering but I open drain valve eninge runs great also replaced drain valve mechanism to make sure it's not sucking air
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If it's idling rough when the valve is closed its likely bad injector O rings. I would test fuel pump pressure to make sure. Usually if the injector I rings go out opening the drain valve will make the vehicle run smooth for a short amount of time. This is a time consuming job so I recommend replacing all 8 o ring sets. Once you do this the vehicle will drive like its brand new.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

----------PLEASE READ THIS------------

1. First of all, thanks for using Just Answer, and Thanks for letting me try to help you.

2. Sorry about the wait, we try our best to get to everyone fast.

3. Do not mistake the above or following posts from me as my last one. We can ask each other many questions, and I can post many answers.

4. I base my response on what you tell me, I am not there to see, smell, or hear, so please factor that in.

5. On your screen you see a rating. That is how I'm paid from your deposit for helping you. I am going to keep checking in on you to make sure your pleased with my help. Let me know if your planning to rate at a later date if not now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James when I pulled injectors right bank it's got diesel fuel all the way to top of hole pulled second injector it only went down a little there is to much fuel on that side
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Is there fuel in the antifreeze?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The fluid can transfer when an injector is removed though the cylinder head. It usually leaks into the cylinder.