Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 XLT window problem, were working fine when suddenly all

Customer Question

2003 XLT window problem, were working fine when suddenly all but Left rear stopped working
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried a new master switch. LR window still works. Truck has 114K miles and looks like new. I worked import cars 20 years, been mechanic all my life. Pain meds and cancer limit my ability to think !! I am 64
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also checked all fuses I could find but know nothing about where or how many relays are involved
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It not very like that the other three window motor have failed and there is one very common problem that you may very well be dealing with and that is a broken wire or two in the drivers door jam harness. Start first with pulling the drivers door boot back and inspecting the wiring harness coming from the body to the door looking closely at all the wire for any signs of a broken wire. I suspect that is the case. Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there there if need be .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck is gone, I did look in the boot and saw nothing wrong. If she brings it back I will look again. Like I said, no ground at the plug to the motor. Either direction. Can you suggest what color to look for and I can tap into them and check. This service told me I would hear back much quicker than I did. I am not complaining to you personally . If they had told me it would be 6 hours I could have handled this differently. It is my sister in laws truck and they live 50 miles away. Please advise about wire colors or please send me diagrams. I was hoping those three windows shared a common ground. I could not be that lucky !!! Where are you located, Sending this at 2:27 Central daylight time. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it may be a week or two before I get a chance to see the truck again. This page says you are available by phone?? My number is(###) ###-#### ***** be nice to establish communication. I don't expect you to work for free. Like I said, I worked as a mechanic most all my life.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry for the delay, I addressed the question as soon as I logged in and saw it. See the window wiring diagrams in the links below.

The ground to the master switch is the black wire .

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PW%201%20Oct%201.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PW%202%20Oct%203.pdf

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Please consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 5AM eastern time and work all day . A rating is required. Your rating me , and what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it takes to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all ,you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short

Thank you, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand your position. My skill level is high but not of domestic cars and I am old and sickly. I also understand the service the set us up is the enemy. Establish another personal form of communication please. I will be sure you get paid. I am in Kansas and we are not crooks out here !! I am sure you come across them all the time, especially with do it your selfers !! I know all about broken wires in the boots
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well start with checking you ground at the mater switch and we can work from there. Im here everyday and I do not assume you are any sort of a crook. Im here to help you in what ever way I can from here./

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron, Will I be able to continue this conversation for the same $$ ,even if it is a week from now? I am not sure when I will get the truck back to look at !! I will leave you good feedback/rating. But when I do doesn't that signal I am finished ??
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the question remains open as long as you need me even after rating my service at no extra charge. All you need to do is bookmark this question and return to it when you ready, I'm here everyday with the exception of Sunday which I try and spend with the family. Post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I checked at he master switch and found grounds there, as recall. That was a couple weeks ago !! Can you tell me where the body grounds are located ?? Thanks for the info n the case staying open. First time I have done his type diagnosis !! I retired 4 1/2 years ago and am quickly losing all my old contacts !!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Sure, see a complete list of grounds and there locations in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Grounds%20Oct%203.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are doing great . How about the ground distribution charts?? This looks like what I remember as "All Data" ??
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The power windows use the ground 400 . See it below. I assume that is what your needing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Ground%20400%20Oct%203.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VERY GOOD Thank You. I will give you the best rating but it will be at least a couple Days or even a couple weeks before I get the truck here again. I hope I can repair it with this info and will let you know one way or another. I have printed the diagrams and book marked them and this conversation also. If I read this correctly ground400 I am looking for is located left rear area. Any suggestion where ?? I would normally start at the tail light grounds. Can you check that diagram for me to verify?? I don't need the diagram, just a clue what else grounds with it. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes please let me know and as I said, Im here everyday as well if you need more help. Ground 400 is in the left rear quarter panel . See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/G%20400%20location%20Oct%203.pdf

The ground distribution diagram I sent you show you all circuits that share G400 as well.