James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2002 ford escape v6 ,uses serpentine belt every few

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford escape v6 ,uses serpentine belt every few months. I have replaced 4. Checked pulleys,seem to be ok. Problem started after i changed original belt. replaced with napa belt
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Is the belt wearing out or are ribs breaking off of the new belts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
usually one rib breaks off. I remove it and drive with five ribs for about a month and a half. Now a second rib ripped of and the belt came off. It is hard to tell if the pullyes are out of alignment.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It is very hard to know if there is an alignment issue. I would remove tension from the belt and feel the tensioner. If no components have been replaced my suspect part is going to be the belt tensioner itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have replaced the tensioner with a new one. i still have the same problem.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

In order to see where the issue is have you watch all pulleys that use ribs and see if any are wobbling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked all pulleys . How can i check for alignment? Can't tell if they are wobbling due to their location. Should i change all pulleys?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't change all pulleys. If you have a bright light to watch everything as the vehicle is running.