Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Have just replaced motor in 2000 powe stroke was leaking oil

Customer Question

Have just replaced motor in 2000 powe stroke was leaking oil from pan. All I did was pull engine and replace gasket on pan and dipstick flange. Engine starts and idles fine but has no boost and burning through oil like crazy and seems that it is going
directly into the exhaust what might be the cause of this
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

An odd coincidence but I would suspect the turbo.

Check it for play before going any further. There is nothing you should have done that would cause this so its going to be a coincidence regardless of what it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the process of pulling the motor I broke the sensor off the base of the turbo it is a larger turbo than stock but it had same sensor or at least looked like it would that cause this or are you thiking waste gate that seems to be functioning properly

I dont think its the wrong turbo I think the turbo bearings are shot and its leaking oil into the exhaust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The turbo wheel doesn't seem to have any play or loose would that make a difference in whether the oil goes by

If unburnt oil is going out the tailpipe it has to be going through the turbo. If it was coming from anywhere else it would be burning it before it hits the exhaust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I filled the oil reservoir when I got the engine back in approximately 4.5 gallons I drove less than 2 miles and had to add 3 gallons it is not really possible for it to burn that much through the cylinders and still run is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see straight unburned oil coming from the exhaust but the exhaust would hold alot of oil before it could make it to the tailpipe

No.. it couldnt burn 3 gallons in two miles.. thats gotta be going out the turbo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crap didn't want to hear that but thank you and will start looking for a new turbo

No problem. Good luck with it. Im pretty sure a new turbo will fix it.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks