HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2009 ford escape blowing the starter fuse replaced fuse

Customer Question

2009 ford escape blowing the starter fuse replaced fuse started but starter stayed engaged while engine running replaced starter and relay was ok for a week now fuse blew again replaced fuse still wont start can anyone help
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Main issues they had was with the ignition key housing actuator body but usually cause a no crank no keeping the starter engaged all the time.Are there any add on accessories in the vehicle recently installed? Wiring to the starter looks ok? If you disconnect the starter does the fuse continue to blow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no add ons wiring looks ok and have not checked the last one yet seems like there is no power going to the starter

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

It only blows when you turn thekey to the crank position??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

don't no that yet have to check that if it does whats next

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If the fuse only blows when cranking, need to disconnect the starter and see if the fuse still blows if it doesnt its related to the starter or its wiring. If it still blows with the starter disconnected something is shorted out on the crank circuit of the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah after I replaced the fuse this time it wont even crank now and I have already replaced the starter o and the ignition switch I think has a lot of play

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, with the new fuse installed and verifying it is good you have to test and see if you have battery power to the large starter cable at all times and the smaller starter solenoid wire when holding the key to the crank position. It is possible you got a defective new starter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fuse doesn't blow when the key is turned to crank. After I replaced the starter and fuse it was driven for a week without a problem. Then the fuse blows again, put a new one in it and it won't even turn over but the fuse hasn't blown either and I've tried to crank it multiple times

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Right and now you have to double check and see if you are getting power to the replacement starter when cranking as I mentioned. if you do and it wont crank then the new starter is defective, just because a part is new out of the box doesnt mean it cant be a problem. Need to double check the starter circuit as I mentioned if it doesnt have power to the starter then have to make sure the THEFT system is working and not blinking the theft lamp quickly when the key is turned to on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank u so much for your help I will do some testing tomorrow and get back to you

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

you can also jump across the starter and see if the engine cranks long as you have battery power at the large battery cable connection of the starter.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Well how did you make out?