James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have an 01, F150, the AC is giving me issues. I am very

Customer Question

I have an 01, F150, the AC is giving me issues. I am very sure they system is low on refrigerant, the compressor cycles on and off when I first start it, but after it warms up, the compressor wont run at all and the low side pressure is at 125 PSI. Could it be a blocked orifice tube?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, your low side pressure is very high. You could have a plugged orifice tube. Especially if AC sealant was ever introduced into the vehicle. Without a way to measure how much freon is in the system you could have an overcharge as well. I would inspect the orifice tube first for any sign of debris or blockage first though.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already bought the orifice tube, can you tell me where to find it on the vehicle please
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It should be on the line coming off of the accumulator. It will be going toward the front of the vehicle. You will see he size of the tube gets bigger towards a disconnect. There is the orifice tube.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to reply so late, but I can't locate the orifice tube . I removed the connection on the accumulator, it wasn't there. I also opened both couplings from the condenser, at the front right of the engine compartment, didn't see it in there either. Can you be a little more specific than, "It should be on the line coming off of the accumulator."
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If the orifice tube was removed from the vehicle. How long have you owned this vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased the vehicle new from the Ford dealer in 2002. The AC was working perfectly up until recently. Over time it was getting less effective. A mechanic added refrigerant, which brought it back to normal, but again over time it slowly became less effective. I then added refrigerant with UV leak detector, it was after this that it began to give have the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please accept my apologies, I found it. it is in the lower tube off the condenser. Not sure how I missed it before, but it is about 50% clogged up.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Ok great I'm glad you were able to find it.