Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I am having problems with the auto theft light coming on and

Customer Question

I am having problems with the auto theft light coming on and my car not starting. I try opening the door and closing again and then it will work. But the other day that didn't even work. I finally got it started. I don't want to be stranded somewhere. How can I get this to stop happening.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused bya bad key, openong and closing the door will not effect it, I think it was a coincedence, do youn have a spare key to try in this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have another key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What else can you tell me about this problem. I searched on the internet and it looks like a lot of people have had the same problem with the Ford Mustangs. Will this be something that will cost a lot to resolve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well I didn't know it was going to cost me more. I already paid $34.00. Can we just continue this way please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I have to do to fix my problem? And, do you know how much it will cost?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

these use a radio frequency chip in the key, if the signal is weak, it can cause the intermittant no start, does the antitheft light flash when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But then it goes away. And at one point all my lights came on (i.e., "service engine", "theft", etc.) and the car wouldn't start at all. I waited about 5 minutes and tried again and then the car started.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

is it starting right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work right now but this morning it started just fine. This has been happening off and on for a couple of weeks. But two nights ago was when it wouldn't start at all and all the lights came on and I waited 5 minutes and then it started.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

was the anti theft light flashing the whole time it would not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was on only when I turned the key to start it. Then it went off. I'm just afraid it is going to completely die on me and I will have to have it towed.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

so the light came on for about 2 seconds, then went out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I realized it wasn't going to start so I turned it back off.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, then the computer is recognizing the key, this is not a problem with the antitheft, when it does not start, does the starter turn over, but wont run? Or does the starter not even turn over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter doesn't even turn over.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, this is most likely a bad start, or somthing else in the starting system, it is not a antitheft problem. Do you have a test light or a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what that is.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

it test for power at certain wires, Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I don't have that.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

it will be very hard to test it with out one, but one thing you can try, is when it wont start, have some one crank it over while you go under the car and tap the starter, if it then starts, its a bad starter, and is a common repair on these,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. But it seems too much of a coincidence that every time this happened to me, I would open and shut the door again (thinking it was a "theft" thing) and then the car started. Are you sure it it's not the anti theft system?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am sure, if the light comes on for 2 seconds and then shuts off, then this means the computer is seeing the proper signal, if it were the anti theft, the light would continue to flash, and not shut noff,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Can Ford make another key for me too? and do you know how much they cost?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

yes they can, but it would be cheaper at a lock smith, our local locksmith cahrges 70 ndollars to make the key, the deakler charges over 200 for a key,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim