Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

How can I determine if a water pump is working on a closed

Customer Question

How can I determine if a water pump is working on a closed system with no radiator cap? I'm not getting heat to the heat core line. I've back flashed the core and water flows freely. This is a 1997 ford Taurus with a 3.0 engine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Start first with placing your hands on the heater hoses at the firewall with the engine running at normal temp and see if both hose are getting nice and hot, check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
discharge hose from the thermostat area luke warm. Discharge hose from heater core cold. By pass hose possibly warm at best. Indicator on dash showed normal operating temp at mid range. Car at idle for 10mins. Dash gauge seems to be slow in reacting movement or my patience with age is questionable. Once up to operating temp no change in temp of firewall hoses.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if both hose are not nice and hot and you have a properly working thermostat which is likely if the gauge read in the normal range usually means you have either trapped air in the cooling system or a bad water pump. Are you sure you do not have trapped air in the cooling system?