Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I recently got the thermostat housing 2005 ford explorer

Customer Question

I recently got the thermostat housing blown 2005 ford explorer
wondering if I should change the water pump 75 000 miles so far
thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine over heating with this issue here at all?

Are you saying the thermostat housing blew up or was damaged?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thermostat housing blew and fuild came out from the plastic I replaced it with a napa one not ford is it ok ?
I am just wondering if I should do the water pump to it has 75000 miles on it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The dealers OEM part is usually always best but the one you installed should be fine as well.I would make sure it came with a warranty to be safe.If you have any over heating issues at all I would have a coolant flush done to free up and remove any debris in the cooling system.It is possible the water pump fins are worn or starting to break off and the pump may need replaced as well.It is also likely that at some point in time the water pump will start to leak or the bearings on the pump shaft can start to fail and the pump would need replaced so if you wanted to replace the pump now this would be a good idea.

If there is still an over heat issue or if an over heat issue starts to occur and you have the new pump and thermostat installed and there is no restriction in the cooling system I would have a block test done (this test can be done by most shops or a dealer and usually takes less then an hour,you can also purchase a block tester tool at a local parts store like Napa and comes with easy to follow instructions for this testing if you want to do this yourself),this test will let you know if any exhaust gasses are leaking into the engine cooling system causing an over heat.If any are found this indicates one of the cylinder head gaskets is leaking to where the leak is letting the exhaust by it into the coolant system.This type of leak won't show up as an external or internal fluid leak.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.