James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F250, 2004, 5.4L having starting problems that are related

Customer Question

F250, 2004, 5.4L having starting problems that are related to when the vehicle set for long periods of time. Cranks over and had to use starting fluid to get it started. Discovered cycling the key on then three or four times then the truck will start. Replaced the fuel pump and started fine for 4 or 5 days then went back to hard starting again. what shoild I look for next
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what kind of fuel pump did you use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bosch

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If it was just the pump it may not fix your concern. In order to fix it you want a pump assembly that includes the pickup tube and sender. This is what you need to correct your concern. When you removed the fuel pump you probably knocked the check valve loose. That is what causes the fuel system to lose its prime and cause a hard start after a cold soak.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.