Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1998 Ford Explorer P0171 bank 1 system too lean Non-MIL

Customer Question

1998 Ford Explorer P0171 bank 1 system too lean Non-MIL P0174 bank 2 system too lean Non-MIL P0731 gear 1 incorrect ratio Non-MIL P0732 Gear 2 incorrect ratio Non-MIL P0734 gear 4 incorrect ratio Non-MIL P0735 gear 5 incorrect ratio Non-MIL P1000 engine
$10 On board diagnostics II Monitor / Drive cycle test not complete Non-MIL P0171 MOD $10 bank 1 system too lean confirmed P0174 MOD $10 bank 2 system too lean confirmed CODE SUMMARY ABS - NO CODES OBDII / EOBD - 2 CODES ENG - 7 CODES There is also a torque
conerter lock code I didn't log in my notes. My father in law had Trans rebuilt and it has never worked right. Engine has been troubleshot and diagnosed with evap leak and repaired. Engine runs fine. The Trans shifts randomly and never goes into 1st gear.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Did the EVAP repair address the lean codes?

If the trans issues turn out to be internal repair in the transmission, will you be able to do these or are you going to take it to a shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lean codes reappeared immediately. No, transmission would have to be repaired or replaced at a shop other than mine.

Thanks, ***** ***** lean codes have you monitored to verify the fuel pressure is good, there are no vacuum leaks, and the MAF sensor is reading correct?

Do you know what they did inside the transmission on the last repair since it came out of the shop not working right after the repair. Have you done the solenoid electrical tests to rule them out to blame for the trans concerns?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My skill level is moderate, but my resource is limited.  I can to some checks on the transmission but not looking to perform deep repairs with it.  Changing solenoids may be possible.I've not checked fuel pressure.  There are no evap leaks as repairs have been performed.  I will check the MAF for correct reading per service manual.  The EGR valve and gasket was leaking have been replaced. The IAC valve has also been replaced.We have no idea what was done exactly with the transmission so troubleshoot from square 1. It was supposed to have been rebuilt 100%.I rate you guys after troubleshooting and repairs are completed successfully and vehicle problems are gone.  I have limited access to this vehicle so it does take me a while to perform on my end.  Does this sound fair to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do know that my father in law said the lean codes have existed very early after he bought it new.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 80 years old and has tried to maintain this vehicle very well.

Fine by me. The post remains open for 7 days, unless a rating occurs before that day. Below are the transmission solenoid diag steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/98transsolenoid.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does "the post remains open for 7 days" mean?

You asked your question at 2 pm on the 26th. That means if I have not gotten a rating through my assistance and efforts by 2pm on the 3rd. Then the post will time out and close. Which only means it is no longer on my list, so I can no longer see the post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I've not had time to troubleshoot this week. Can you still see this post?

Yes I can still see it but since there is no rating I have to take special efforts to find it. One I address the next 100 customers it will be impossible for me to find the post since its timed out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are the first in about 6 years to bring this to my attention. I currently have another question open with another mechanic with Just Answer and he has been very patient and professional. How would it be fair to me to have to rate your service prior to having my problem repaired?

I am patient. I just help alot of customers and we are only provided with a list 100 customers long, not my choice. For some experts here it is fine, for some not. I was just informing you, of the potential that you may reply and I never know it, again not my choice nor my website. I prefer to provide super service though this hiccup sometimes makes me look bad when i have no intentions to be that. For example I helped 54 customers yesterday others often address 5 or less. Your more than welcome to rate when you choose, or what ever rating or not at all. I just want to make sure I am doing and explaining all efforts I have available to me to assist you.