Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My battery went dead in my ford escape 2012. I charged the

Customer Question

Hey steve,
My battery went dead in my ford escape 2012. I charged the battery. Car started but it needed water in the battery. when I tried to remote start the vehicle it did not start. Probably because it was not fully charged. So I had to jump it again. Now it will not start and there is a ticking sound. I assume it may be because of the remote start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect that the tick you hear is a low voltage click.

How much water did you have to add to the battery?

Sometimes when a battery is really low on electrolyte and you have to add more than a few ounces to get it full again it will shock the battery and it will never come back to life. I have a fleet of about 1200 ford vehicles and we never have much luck getting the motorcraft (original ford) batteries to take a charge if the water level is low.

The first thing to do would be to remove the battery and take it to a parts store that can test it. If it tests ok you might have them put it on their trickle charger, unless you have your own. A good long slow charge might wake it back up, but we see batteries that will test ok on a conventional tester, charge ok, and then fail a load test all of the time.

Obviously if it tests bad, then you will need a new battery.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I just wanted to see if you needed any additional information. Also, if I have been of some assistance I would appreciate a positive rating.

Thanks!