JContin
JContin, ford shop owner
Experience:  13 years experience, full ford training for a couple of years, chief supervisor for ford dealership.
35803371

I need wire diagram 1997 f-150 4.6 4x2 not getting any fire

Customer Question

I need wire diagram for my 1997 f-150 4.6 4x2 not getting any fire to ignition have replace the starter, alternator, solenoid, gem module, ignition switch and battery so I am thinking there must be a ground problem I need to find where all my grounds are
so I can check them is there type of tester to check for grounds
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, can you send more details, what is working, what is not working? what is the 8th digit of the VIN? what led up to this?do you have the security system? and as much more as you can add?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok yes it has a factory keyless entry anti-theft on it and my wife had a remote start alarm put on for Christmas last year. that when It start sometimes not starting the truck is almost 20 years old so and never had a starter replaced so I had it replaced then a couple months later from time to time it wouldn't start and I could jump it cross the solenoid and it would start. Now about a month ago I got in it and when I tried to start it it went clank and all the lights in the instrument panel when off and I couldn't get it to do anything at all. had it towed to shop they keep it for a week said all they did was jump it off so ihad the alternator checked and it had some bad dio's so I replaced the alternator and the battery and that worked for about a week and last Friday I went to go to work and it happen again clank no lights to in side no head lights tail lights no horn no nothing so I replaced the ignition switch and the solenoid again plus the gem module. when I finished the lights came on but when I tried to start it clank nothing again all connection are tight at starter battery solenoid so I am thing maybe its the ground so I am trying find out where to look for all the grounds at. the last eight of the vin is VNA17670
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

2 things, do you have a teslight or at minimum a volt meter>? and I need the 8th digit of the VIN reading form the left, 3 different 4.6 were used also, auto trans or manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a test light and I have fire at and across the solenoid and I have fire even up to the switch under the dash. no sometime the lights will come on again but when I try to start it again clank. whole vin is 1FTDX1768VNA17670
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also when I try to jump across the solenoid I get no ark are anything but I have fire on right side of solenoid
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, the solenoid, is yours under hood , passenger side at rear of engine bay? 2 big wires, one small one? if so,, remove the small wire, probe it while holding key to CRANK, what volts are there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a volt meter but there is current there as well as both sides of solenoid terminal
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

unsure, really would like volt readings, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts, one should be along shortly to continue helping

Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

hi from what I am reading it looks like there is a ground problem as you think. Here are the grounds for your vehicle

Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

one last