Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Recently I have been having issues with my 07 Ford Focus SES

Customer Question

Recently I have been having issues with my 07 Ford Focus SES (4f27e trans). Intermittently the speedometer needle has been flatlining at zero while the vehicle is in motion. While this occurs the odometer and trip meter show "--- ---", the overdrive light flashes orange, and the transmission feels late and very heavy in shifting (almost bangs and bursts with acceleration while moving forward). When this has occurred I have pulled the vehicle over and let it sit for a time (on average ten minutes). After this period, I have restarted the vehicle, put it into drive, and the speedometer is still flatlined at zero while the trans will not shift out of first. The check engine light has not come on although the owners manual states that a flashing orange overdrive light is a trans problem. Everything I have read online leads me to believe that I should replace the trans speed sensor. However, there are two speed sensors listed on Fordparts.com- a turbine speed sensor (ford part # *****) and a trans speed sensor (ford part # *****). I am unsure which to replace if not both? Also, when replacing these sensors, should the trans be drained of fluid? Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.
-Andrew
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The problem you describe is most likely caused by the output shaft speed sensor. If it was the turbine speed sensor it would not affect the speedometer.

Here is the procedure for replacing it. You will lose a little bit of fluid. You could drain the transmission first, but it isn't essential. You can just fill it back up once you have the new sensor in.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I just wanted to see if you needed any additional information. Also, if I have been of some assistance I would appreciate a positive rating.

Thanks!