A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

If I bought this van (1990 Ford E350 7.5L V8 Econoline

Customer Question

If I bought this van (1990 Ford E350 7.5L V8 Econoline Extended Van), which apparently has a fuel pump leak, steering gear box leak and possible engine problems, worst case scenario, how much could I end up paying to have it fixed up?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I need to know what engine problems it has to better advise on a repair estimate?
Also. does it have a single or dual fuel tanks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dual fuel tanks neither gauge works one shows empty other shows full. the owner drove the van from California and commented that it had a minor ticking and a "deep fast sort of sound" the engine has 129,000 miles. I'm really interested in the van but I know it's old and wouldn't want to spend a fortune fixing it.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Actually, the engine noise and condition is hard to estimate since I cannot actually hear or see the engine. The 7.5L engine, which is the 460 CU. IN. engine, has hard to come by parts since Ford no longer produces anything for this engine. And the aftermarket does not have much either. All the aftermarket engine are rebuilt and bored out Ford factory engines from the early 1980's and 1990's. The fuel pumps, depending on what one is bad, can run about $500 installed, depending on where you go repair shop wise. The gear box, it is about $600 installed because you will need an alignment along with the inspection and possible repair of any front end steering or suspension components are worn or broken.