C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

Need to know what this is called the joint is slightly

Customer Question

Need to know what this is called the joint is slightly rusted and has a couple small holes. Not sure if anythig os leaking out i have no clue what goes through it want to know of i can buy a new one or if i need to patch/weld it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

What is the year make model of the vehicle. From the picture it looks like the heater control hose. But I want to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1997 ford mustang base
3.8 liter v6

Yes that is one of your heater hoses. Here is image from the manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What part of the motor in the diagram from? The picture I sent the pipe come out of by the water pump up front.

That is the metal tube that goes from the top of the water pump to the heater hoses.

This is a dealer only type item but I believe the last time I tried to get one for a customer it was discontinued. We had to order a used one. This is called a heater crossover tube.

Heater Hose Outlet to Water Pump Pipe Assembly/ I am trying to find one for you now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have quiksteel extreme that I could patch the pinholes with. I'll do that when I put a new water pump in and see if it leaks at all. Can't tell if it is when its running because the water pumps weeping hole is leaking and I don't know if it sprayed onto it or if its also leaking. What runs through it?

Coolant, this is how you get the coolant to the heater core. You can do that I am just worried about having some cancer and rust through in the future. They just discontinued it so you have to find one aftermarket or used. I would clean it up really good sand it to get the rust off than apply the quiksteel make sure its fully setup before allowing coolant to run through it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a wire brush attatchement for my dremel. I'll use it to clean it up really well before I patch it. And let it sit for close to 24 hours.

The link above is the correct one. They are expensive but if it does not setup there you go. Was very difficult to find but with some digging was able to find it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much of a pain is it to replace the water pump on these?

Its a little bit of work but nothing more than 2 hours I have loaded the steps to help you get it done easier.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please take a moment to rate the answer once your satisfied. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hell yeah. Thanks man. One more thing I'm gunn need to fi . The ac works great. But sometimes the blower won't blow as hard as it normally does. Found out that when I switch off the ac and its just blower coming through it will eventually come back and I can turn the ac back on. Then noticed today the condensor(is at the back of the engine by by the firewall passenger side. Not sure if that is what it is called) and all the lines coming out of it were frozen over. What does that mean? A leak?

This most likely means the system is running a tad bit low or a tab bit high on coolant. When it runs low the system overworks. You need to check on the low side and see what the pressure is at 20-28 psi when the switch is open compressor on. With closed it should be 40-47 if it is over that there is to much if below that it is to low. If the pressure is right on you have a blockage in the system but this would also cause pressure to measure incorrectly. Most of the times it happens from people over filling the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dad has been overfilling the coolant because it was leaking. He couldn't figure out where from and I found the leak fromnthe pump.

When I said coolant I meant the freon coolant inside the AC system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Well neither of us have messed with the ac or freon on i . So I'll have to check it and see what I find out then.

Yeah you really should use proper gauges but using a cheap one from the parts store on the ac port will give you an idea if the pressures are very far off from the above I listed.

Please take a moment to rate the question, thats the only way I get paid for my time. Thanks.