Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ron, I've got a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, V8, I got a heck

Customer Question

Hi Ron, I've got a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, V8,
I got a heck engine light, mechanic scoped it and came up with bad Airflow sensor. Changed it out and started. Now running very rough. Did not drive around. Could I have gotten a bad sensor or should I drive around a bit?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If in fact the MAF (mass air flow) was bad and needed to be replaced there should be no driving needed, It should have resolved the problem. I suspect its not the MAF thats causing the problem. Can you contact him and find out what the actual code and or codes where that where setting when the light came on and post back with them and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I can't Ron. Something wasn't mixing right. My car was running OK before change, Just a light. Changed MAF and now missing like crazy. Need to know if I should return sensor? No missing or rough running with light on before change. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well if you did not have the problem before hand then yes I would return it and see if that solves the problem, also make sure that when you installed it that you got the intake hose sealed and installed nice and tight so there are no leaks. If that dose not solve the problem then stop by your local Auto Zone and have then do a free scan and see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting if the light remains on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron, I may be calling you after returning
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing, I'm here all day, post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, Hey I went and got a scan. Came out scanssss. Anyway here they are. P0102, P0113, ,P0171, P0174, P0300, P0316, P1130, P1131, P1150, P1151
Where would you start? Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Most of the codes you are getting are all lean codes and if the fuel pressure checks okay the you are most likely looking at an engine vacuum leak. Take a look at the vacuum line at the intake area and if you do not find any loose and or bro***** *****nes then you very likely have a leaking upper intake gasket which was very common on this engine.