EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2003 Ford Escape XLT I just bought used. My

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Escape XLT I just bought used. My dashboard lights seem to be fine except the area where you can see which gear you are in. This is concerning to me because I am a new driver and still trying to get a feel for this vehicle. Do I have to replace a bulb?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. On some model Escapes, there is a replaceable bulb. On others the cluster needs to be replaced. The only way to check for sure is to remove the instrument cluster. Which is not very hard. Please respond to Let me know if you need more info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need more info on how to check that please.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. First you need to remove the instrument cluster. There are 2 or 3 7mm bolts that go up into the trim right above the instrument cluster. You need to remove those and then the trim piece will come off. Then there are 4 7mm bolts that will hold the cluster in. You need to then remove those and disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the cluster. Then on the back there may be a replaceable bulb in the area of the display.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that is enough to get you started. I can offer you the shop manual instructions on cluster removal through Just Answer. There is a small 8 dollar fee for all the PDF files you need. Let me know if you want to go that route. Thanks.