Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2005 escape 4 cyl.and thef ligths blinks code

Customer Question

i have a 2005 escape 4 cyl.and thef ligths blinks code b1681,sometimes starts and sometimes dont.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wiil appreciate it today and soon....cant wait to long.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** problem is intermittent that points toward wiring. These vehicles are somewhat known for the wiring near coil bracket on left side of engine shorting out which can cause this so I'd start by inspecting the wiring. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wich wiring inside dash or outside,in engine compartment..
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is in engine compartment, on left side of engine near ignition coil bracket. Let me know if you run into more questions, you could also just run a new wire too if not able to find the wiring problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ,i will check it,let you know soon.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,i remove the hardness toward the fuse box, and it looks normal ,no temperature.or wires together ....the light from thef blinks...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the transreceiver module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way this engine has an individual coil per cylinder .
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Here is wire diagram of system. You will want to check reistance of wiring between pats module and PCM. Any wire that has over 5 ohms resistance run new wiring. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/csabh2av6xwrtgq/patswiring.pdf?dl=0
-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,DAN AM STILL WORKING the escape ,i remove most of wiring and check resistance on #2 blk/white cable and it has more than 5 omhsthat wire goes all the way in ,to dash .
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You may be better off just running new wire. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that wire were does it go to normal grond metal.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Correct, that is just a ground. So you can use a test light to verify that is getting good ground. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,I will do that.let you know .till tomorrow am exhausted...
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know if you run into questions with testing. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,Dan. I try to start the car and it did it again...now there no voltage on red/black wire...from the transceiver
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that comes from the computer?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes so I'd run a new wire to replace the red/black wire. Let me know how it goes, thanks.