James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

You worked with me recently on my 2006 f250 6.0l diesel and

Customer Question

You worked with me recently on my 2006 f250 6.0l diesel and recommended I purchase OTC 303-765 to perform the pressure test. I now have the part. How should I test and what findings will tell me if its the ipr or hpop? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want to remove the ICp sensor from the passenger side valve cover. Apply compressed air and listen for a leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is definitely a leak coming from the oil cap
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If that is the case you want to remove the pasnger valve cover and reinstall the air test fitting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To what end? What am I looking for? Should I apply voltage to the IPR to see if it engages and stop the leak?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you have the ability to apply the ipr valve you can. Either way the valve cover will need to be removed so you can see where the air is leaking from.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put voltage to the ipr valve while pressure testing. I used a hose to place into the oil fill spout and placed the other into my ear so I could hear better. Without voltage to the IPR I could hear air moving and oil bubbling or gurgling then when applying voltage to the IPR all sound stops after a few seconds and I no longer hear a leak
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

That would indicate the ipr is working correctly. Can you please remind me of all the parts you replaced recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've changed the icp sensor and associated wire harness.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The vehicle only doesn't start when hot correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't start at all hot
Or cold
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Ok if there is no leak in the high pressure oil system we might need to look elsewhere. Do you have a scan tool to monitor data?