Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2000 F-250 5.4 that won't turn over. Engine is

Customer Question

I have a 2000 F-250 5.4 that won't turn over. Engine is fine---sometimes the starter turned it over fast other times just engaged but did not turn over. Jumping across the solenoid (fender well relay, not the one on the starter itself) produced the same results. I figured a bad starter so replaced it. I live way out from towns--no phone just satelite internet and no test equipment. Anyway--the new starter does exactly the same thing---engages but doesn't want to turn the engine over. Acts like a weak starter, but the new one bench tested perfect. Again--there is nothing wrong with the engine. When I do start finally get it started---sometimes 20-30 tries--it runs like a top.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

At the starter motor, does the large wire have battery voltage 12.6 volts? When trying to start does the smaller wire at the starter now have voltage? If so and the starter engages but does not spin/crank the engine then suspect a possible leaking fuel injector that has hydrolocked the engine. Try removing the spark plugs to see if it will now crank.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris