Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4x4, 5.4L on dash switch. It won't

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4x4, 5.4L on dash switch. It won't switch from 2wd to 4wd, however the 4x4 light is on. I have replaced the GEM and the electric motor, all the fuses are good inthe boxes. I have also replaced the on dash switch. Are there any fuses that I have overlooked. There is only a 103,000 miles on it. Do you have any suggestios?
Thanks,
Ray Allard
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi , my name is ***** ***** the light goes from 2wd to 4wd, thn the gem is commanding the transfer case motor, and it is likely putting the transfer in 4wd, but it sounds like the hubs are not engaging in the front differential, can you put it in 4wd, and drive it a few feet and see if the front driveshaft between the transfer and the differential is turning?