Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Have 2008 f350 6.4 had dpf off exhaust system started truck

Customer Question

have 2008 f350 6.4 had dpf off exhaust system started truck for 20 sec started right up put dpf on and hooked up exhaust now truck will not even turn over when i turn key.had wrench symbol on dash and said reduced power code showed plugged dpf.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** with the exhaust hooked back up, the starter s=does not even turn over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
started fine prior to putting dpf back on, but does nothing starter.has plenty of juice from the battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had codes p1335,p0404,p2436,p2452,p0405,p2453. emission codes went to limp mode then i changed dpf filter.would the trucks pcm shut down the truck
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Is there an anti theft light flashing on the dash, when you try to start it? have you pulled codes since it would not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea i reset with key but still shows?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

if the light is flashing when you tr to start it, then this means the computer has lost its programming for the key, have you tried a spare key in this yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me try a spare key
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried spare key no good would a bad sensor from dpf or cat cause it not to start ,or would the reduced power mode it was in cause it not to start.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

No, the only thing that will cuse the key light to flash and a no start is the programming of the key in the computer, did you have the battery disconnected when you removed the DPF?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

some how it lost its programming, none the less, the key will need to be reprogrammed into the computer, the dealer can do this, but we use mobile locksmiths to come to the car and do this, our local locksmith charges 70 dollars for this, the dealer gets over 200, and you have to tow it to them, but until the computer recognizes the signal from the key, it will not let it start,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the key reprogramed you think the computer itself is fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also just to make sure if the key is in position 3 and the alarm had been activated what would show on the instrument cluster
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the light should come on for about 2 seconds, then shut off, if the computer recognizes the key, if it does not, the light will stay on or flash, I do not think the computer is bad, we see this alot on these vehicles, it can lose its programming fr many resons, but I have never had one due to a bad computer,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i turn key on alarm symbol goes off after about 2 sec or so,.i just started it by leaving key on and i jump the terminals on starter truck runs fine.,if the alarm symbol dissappears after 2 sec wouldn't that mean it recognizes the key.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if the light goes off after 2 seconds, then it is recognizing the key, I thought you said it stayed on??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just started it by jumping the starter and when i turned it off and tried to restart it, it started with the key.what do you think maybe starter solenoid was stuck.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it could have been the solenoid, or the nuetral safety switch, is it starting every time now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be.thanks
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Anytime, let me know if you need more help,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help with this, dont hesitate to ask, if not, then please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim