Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2006 F-150, 4x4, 5.4 3valve VV Flex. had terrible knocking

Customer Question

2006 F-150, 4x4, 5.4 3valve VV Flex. had terrible knocking and missing diesel sounding common systems for this engine. Multiple codes.
changed chains, guides, tensioners, phases, m360 melling oil pump, plugs and coils. now runs so smooth you can't hear it run but I still get the occasional fit when I slow to a stop.
It is on the right bank only. Crankshaft end play is normal. Using correct oil and filter. I am a retired senior master tech. This makes no sense to me. Hope to get help from a young tech familiar with this problem. Jim
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

One of the more common issues I find is bits of metal or gunk clogging the oil flow ports in the heads especially at the cam bearings which effects the variable cam timing components oil supply pressure. Have you tried monitoring the oil pressure at each head?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I'm on the road today I will respond this evening.

Super

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I flushed the engine. The ford dealer here would not sell me fords flush so I had to use an off brand. I wish I had removed the heads when I was that far into it. Thanks for your answer. Jim

Let me know when your able to check the oil pressure to each head.