JContin
JContin, ford shop owner
Experience:  13 years experience, full ford training for a couple of years, chief supervisor for ford dealership.
35803371

Electronic 4x4 is not working on my 2003 f150. Checked all

Customer Question

Electronic 4x4 is not working on my 2003 f150. Checked all fuses and checked power to solenoids and switch. All fuses are good and had power to solenoids. But the only power I got to the 4wd switch is to the wire that has the illumination bulb and very faint power to the wire next to it (assuming the 2wd wire) but not power to the next two wires when switching to 4wd H and L. Not getting any illumination on the dash either ( only when truck is first cranked). Not hearing any clicking when switching over also. Maybe thinking the 4wd switch is bad?
Category: Ford
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, for now I am not able to do phone call service, if that is ok with you we can try and get your 4x4 working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine.
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

Ok so what type of 4x4 do you have, the electronic shift on the fly with 2h,4h,4l positions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shift on the fly
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

What engine size do you have please ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4l
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

ok so when did it stop working ?

Also when you turn the ignition switch on do you get both indicators on for a second and then they go off on the intrument cluster ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought the truck a few months ago from someone that claimed everything worked just fine. Never did think to try it when test driving it and am now kicking myself for not doing so. So it's never worked as long as i've had it. Yes I do get the indicators on the dash when I crank the truck.
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

ok I will check the wiring and we can check the basics first.

Have you tried shifting into high and low just in case ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have I tried to shift it into 4wd yet? Yes that's how I know it's not working...?
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

do you have a tester so we can check the switch ?

I have the information to test if its ok.

But we need a tester that can read resistance.

Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

Sorry what I meant was if both of the 4x4 positions are not working ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just have a regular test light, not one that reads ohms or anything. But neither 4x4 positions are working no. I tested the plug in order from left to right.. the wire leading to the bulb in the switch is hot when i illuminate the bulb in the switch by turning the lights on. Than the wire next to it lights up the test light just a little bit (assuming that's the wire that coordinates to 2wd maybe? but neither of the next to wires show any power when switching into 4wd H or L
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

ok, the reason for that is that the two that wont light up the probe are the resistors for the 3 positions. Let me check something I will be back in 3 minutes.

Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

ok, so all troubleshooting for this needs a multitester because we must read ohms and voltage. For now from experience I must say that I have not seen many switches damaged. The culprit for these is 90 percent of the time the GEM module.

Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

Do you want to retake this tomorrow after you can buy one of those cheap little testers at sears and we can continue ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's fine.
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

ok just message me when you are ready.

***@******.***
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

Here is the info on how to test, let me know if you are able

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have time today to check all that. Thanks
Expert:  JContin replied 1 year ago.

ok