Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

My wipers are turned off, but they still sweep on the lowest

Customer Question

My wipers are turned off, but they still sweep on the lowest setting every 15 seconds or so Courtesy wipe function is turned off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

This is usually caused by a bad multifunction switch. There should be a code stored in the steering column control module that will confirm this.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK but how do I fix it? I don't want to pay $25 dollars just to know what it is if I am going to have to go have it fixed at Ford anyway. Is this something I can code into the truck or is it something that I cant fix?

I can give you repair instructions but without first checking the codes if you replace it you could be wasting 100 bucks on a part that is just the most common cause. It isnt ALWAYS the cause which is why I suggested getting the codes first to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I get he codes?

Im guessing by you asking the question that you are unable to.

You would need a scan tool with manufacturer specific software to get the codes from the SCCM. The module communicates over the serial BUS so there is no testing you can do with a multimeter or anything on this problem. You have to have a scan tool to see what information is being sent and received and without it anything you do would just be a guess,,, an educated guess but still just a guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK well thanks anyway

No problem. Sorry I cant be more help. Im hesitant to say it but if the cost of the switch is less than the labor charge to diagnose it at a dealer you may be better off just trying one than paying for diagnostics. If you dont need it now chances are you will eventually.