Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

1970 Ford Mustang 302 with Autolite 2100 carb with electric

Customer Question

1970 Ford Mustang 302 with Autolite 2100 carb with electric choke... just rebuilt... engine idles perfect however when you push gas engine bogs down and shuts off
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this exact problem occurred prior to having carb rebuilt at local shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
makes strange sucking noise
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The choke is coming off completely?

Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Know it doesn't matter hot or cold... Very frustrated with this car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Totally understand that!

What it sounds like is there is an issue with the vacuum advance on the distributor. If the diaphragm inside has a leak, or if the vacuum line to it isn't pulling vacuum then the timing won't advance and it will stall.

Also, check the butterfly for the choke. It's right up top of the carb, make sure when the engine is hot that it's open and not closed at all. It should be completely open. When the engine is cold, the butterfly should be closed a bit, but if its closed up to much, same problem. When you crack the throttle it will not get the right fuel mix and the thing will stall.

If I remember right there should be a vacuum T behind the carb and there should be a line from that going to the distributor. Make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks on that line.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.