Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I HAVE A 1996 FORD ESCORT AND COMING TO WORK THIS MORNING,

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1996 FORD ESCORT AND COMING TO WORK THIS MORNING, AS i GOT OFF THE FREEWAY AND MADE A SLIGHT TURN TO THE LEFT, I HEARD STRANGE KNOCKING. THEN IT STOPPED, A FEW MINUTES LATER, ANOTHER SLIGHT TURN, THIS TIME TO THE RIGHT AND IT STARTED AGAIN ONLY IT WAS NOT JUST A KNOCKING, IT WAS A GRINDING ALSO, IN UNISON WITH THE TIRE ROTATING. IT DID IT UNTIL I PARKED A LITTLE WAYS FURTHER. I STARTED IT UP TO CHECK OUT MY EMERGENCY BREAK, IT DOES IT NOW FULL TIME. MY MECHANIC IS ABOUT 1.5 MILES FROM WHERE i"M AT, DO YOU THINK IT IS DRIVE-ABLE THAT DISTANCE? IS IT THE U JOINT OR TIE ROD? I DON'T' THINK IT'S THE BEARINGS. I'M HOPING YOU CAN HELP!! :)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

It sounds like it could possibly be a bad CV Axle. If so its tough to say if it will make the trip or not. I guess the worse that could happen is it breaks completely on the trip and you need a tow anyway. As it stands you already need a tow if you dont try to drive it so theres not much to lose.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks