Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

When I put my truck in 4wd gh it works fine but when I

Customer Question

When I put my truck in 4wd high it works fine but when I switch it to low nothing happens. I've tried moving forward then back in neutral with foot on the brake several times but still nothing. Could this be a problem in the selector module
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

You have 2 relays under the hood for the 4x4 mode. One is for going into 4x4 and th other is to come out of 4x4 mode. Look for those relays, swap them, and then see if the issue is still there.

The relays are in a relay box by themselves, next to the larger relay box under the hood on the driver side. It will be the box the goes side to side, not front to back of the 2 small boxes wit the 2 relays in it. Your owner's manual will list location as well.

What happens is the relay for the return goes bad and makes the vehicle get stuck. If the relays are good, then I would check the transfer case motor or the switch. You can test the switch at that relay box for when you flip it, the relay pin 84 will have power on it when checked with a volt meter. If you have power going to one or the other relays on pin 84 when you turn the switch, the switch is good. If not, the switch is bad.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting the truck into 4x4 high but low range isn't doing anything. The dash indicator for low range isn't coming on either. Only 4x4 indicator
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like the relays. Check the relays as instructed above.

One relay is 4x4 high, the other is 4x4 low. It takes both to be working to go to 4x2 high. That is how Ford has them wired up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in order to have 4x4 low both relays must be in working order. Correct?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Swap the relays with the wiper relays. They are the same size and you can test. You have 2 wiper relays. One for wipe and one for wipe high speed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try. Thanks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

It is pretty common issue in the electronic shift 4x4 trucks. Those relays always give issues. We think it is because the 4x4 modes aren't used that often, at least not until Winter for a lot of people.

Have a good evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You as well
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I do not see a separate box for these relays
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

It should be right next to the main fuse panel under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I've got
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Shoot. I'm thinking of the newer year...

I just uploaded a video above on how to test the solenoid switches to see if there is an issue with the switch or if the issue id in one of those 2 solenoids.

I got your year mixed with newer year. I'm helping another customer at same time on a newer year and I just guided him to the solenoids for you year. I need to fix his, too...

Your 4x4 mode works through your gem control. The switch tells the GEM to activate one of 2 solenoids on the vehicle. One will lock you into 4x4 high, and the other will go to 4x4 low. I will upload a video on how to sest those solnoids for power. It will tell you if the switch is bad or the solenoids are bad. Your vehicle year is really common to have the issue be due to the shift motor on the transfer case. I suggest watching the video and following the steps.

VIDEO HERE

I just did a copy/paste of what I gave to him. Now I got to do the same for his. I apologize. Long day. I did a 12 hour and trying to catch up the questions on the board that others have't gotten to as well. My fault.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for that. :-(

The video is dead on for your vehicle year and is the best way to diagnose the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you sir I'll try it out in the morning. It's getting pretty late
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

give it a run and let me know what you found or if you need help with something along the way.

I'm going down for the night.

Good evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You too. I'll let you know something tomorrow I appreciate everything
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got my gem module out and took it apart. I don't see anything visually wrong with it. When I put the truck from 4 high to 4 low should it click then also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My transfer case motor (brand new) is only moving to 4x4 high and 2x4 high something isn't sending signal to it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the module I was referring to. It's from the middle of my dash and clicks from 2x4 high to 4x4 high then nothing to 4x4 low