Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

When I go to start nothing happens with the motor. All

Customer Question

When I go to start nothing happens with the motor. All lights fuel pump runs like it should. If you turn the key nothing happens. Like no spark . New battery, starter, ignation coil,starter solenoid.?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to start it in neutral?

It has a neutral safety switch on the transmission that will only allow it to start in neutral or park and a lot of times they go bad.

Let me know if you tried wiggling the shifter around the neutral position/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an automatic. With the brake pressed and key on it moves a little but won't go .

You will need to test the neutral safety switch or just replace it. Power comes from the key to the neutral switch and then to the starter solenoid so if there is no power to the solenoid it wont start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will try on Saturday. Thanks

sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced switch and nothing. The key rolls over and power to everything but the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter was sticking . Battery went dead. Jumped started got off the road pull in driveway turned off changed starter went to start and dead as dead could be .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you.

Did you get it started?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Using a volt meter, disconnect the small red/blue wire at the starter solenoid and see if that wire has power when the key is turned to start. let me know