Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a fresh built 347 stroker edlebrock aluminum heads

Customer Question

I have a fresh built 347 stroker edlebrock aluminum heads and x303 roller camshaft. I had the car started and it ran fine and idled great. I took the battery out, a week later i put it back in the car and tried to start it. Now the car will not idle, its
burning rich, and hesitates at throttle. The car is not driveable. I have all after market parts on the car new injectors, new fuelpump and tank, and all new sensors. The only thing stock is the distributor. I cant figure out what is causing the issue, was
wondering if you had any ideas or suggestions.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The 1994 had known issues with a failing fuel pressure regulator so I would start with checking the fuel pressure, normal pressure should be right at 32 to 45 PSI , anything higher then 45 PSI can cause the engine to over fuel. One other thing to check is to remove the vacuum line from the regulator and see if there are any signs of fuel in the line. If so then the regulator is leaking. Check this for me and post back if need be and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even with a stroker motor, i placed an after market regulator on my engine and it was messing up. Put the stock back on and no change still didnt want to idle and hesitating at the throttle.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Have you check ed the fuel pressure ?

Has the computer been scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We plan on checking the pressure this afternoon and no as far as i know the computer hasn't been scanned
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you can do both and post back with the results I can help you from there. I'm here all day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We checked the pressure and could barely get a reading but were able to adjust it and it was idling better, now when the car starts to hesitate there is a popping sound coming from the intake.. We werent able to get the computer scanned yesterday for fault codes
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Popping through the intake can be cause by a couple of thing, one would be low fuel pressure and the other would be a cam timing issue . I would get the fuel pressure in specs before suspecting anything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was the cam wouldnt i have had this issue from the beginning?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I'm not saying the cam is the problem, I'm thinking you need to make sure the base timing is set right as well as the firing order. If either are off it can cause a backfire through the intake, with that being said I would make sure the fuel pressure is at least 32 PSI, a lean fuel condition can also cause it to back fire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing i never changed was the fuel filter could it cause the low pressure if its clogged or needs changed? We could barely get it to read at 10 psi
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the fuel filter is restricted it sure could cause low fuel pressure. If you only have 10 PSI you have either a bad filter or the pump is failing . You need at least 32 PSI. The 10 PSI is likely the cause of the backfire as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we checked the timing several times. And its a new fuel pump not even 2 years old.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well if your only getting 10 PSI of pressure then it is defective providing the filter is clear.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You need at least 32 PSI for the engine to run properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will check the filter today and if its clear we will check the pump also... Thank you for your help
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome, Im here if you need me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We changed the fuel filter and got the car to idle on it's own. I still can't get a reading off the gauge on the fuel regulator. Now the only time the car seems to want to die and also hesitates is when you put it in first gear and try to move it. It is giving off really strong fumes from the exhaust but isn't smoking and doesn't smell like anything is burning (oil, etc.) It still pops in the intake occasionally. any suggestions we are out of ideas.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Since changing the fuel filter what are you getting now for fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its still reading under 20
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You need 32 to 45 PSI in order for the engine to run properly. If you still only getting 20 PSI then you have a failing fuel pump.