James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 03 Ford F250 7.3l I just replaced the fuel pump and

Customer Question

I have a 03 Ford F250 7.3l I just replaced the fuel pump and filter and it isn't getting any power if I wire it directly to the battery it works some of the forums say replace the fuel pump relay switch but I am not quite sure what they say to replace or what else could be wrong?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you turn the key on does the wait to start light come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Ok the fuel pump and wait to start lamp are run off of the same fuse. Inside the vehicle it should be fuse 22. You should find this fuse blown. If this fuse is blown it is most commonly due to the fuel heater inside the fuel filter housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a fuel heater my fuel pump fuse is #40
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I am finding unusual is I have 6.4 v at the pigtail for pump and 6.4v at the fuel cutoff switch
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you are only getting 12v on the inertia switch that is your issue. Is the voltage the same on both sides of the inertia switch? If it is I would swap the fuel pump relay with a different relay and retest voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump relay is in question some say behind radio others say driver side fender well how can I tell if it has a fuel pump module?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

This engine won't use a fuel pump driver module. If that's what you mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it have a relay and where is it located
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so no module so I am dealing with a relay a fuse and a kill switch just trying to figure out how many components in the loop I am dealing with. Can the fuel pressure switch have anything to do with it I keep hearing about this fuel heater bowl but I truly don't believe my truck is equipped with one it has glow plugs but it has no spot for a fuse in the panel. I purchased a fuel pump relay from advance auto not knowing full well its location in the truck after searching I matched up the new relay with an existing relay under the hood on drivers side fender well Thank you for your help
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The fuel heater bowl will blow a fuse but won't cause such a large power draw. The relay should be in the interior fuse panel. Do you have an owners manual.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.