Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have 2005 Mercury Mariner that the service emission system

Customer Question

I have 2005 Mercury Mariner that the service emission system light with the service engine light coming on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...

When these lights come on together, this means there is a problem in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. First and foremost, check the fuel cap (if equipped) and make sure it is tight and sealed correctly. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. If the cap is good (or this is a capless system) then at this point we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") to point us in the direction of which part/sensor has the problem as there are literally dozens of parts/sensors in the EVAP System and to take a guess as to which one has the fault and be correct would be impossible. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Once you have these p-codes we can then more accurate and efficiently determine the root of the problem and make the correct repair. In the meantime, As long as there are no drivabilty issues or shifting issues, then it should be perfectly safe to drive the vehcile. You should however, have the codes retrieved at least to verify. If the problem does lie in the EVAP system, it is strictly for emissions control/recovery and will in no way effect engine performance in any way. If the problem lies outside the EVAP system, it may be a good idea to have it serviced as soon as possible, as prolonged driving with a problem with the engine or tranmission can make matters worse. Please remember to leave a rating using the star rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..