Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Was driving my 2001 ford lightning down the road and it

Customer Question

Was driving my 2001 ford lightning down the road and it started a slight miss then it got worse and started missing on 4 cylinders. Have changed coils, plugs, cam angle sensor checked all fuses, fuel pressure, and relays, cleaned maf, none of it did anything
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

It may have jumped time. Have you narrowed it down to which cylinders are to blame, then confirmed there spark plugs are firing and injectors are pulsing. Have you done a compression test?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark on cyls 123 and 6

At those coils, is there power to one wire with the key on?

Do you have a noid light to check the ground pulse on the other wire to the coils while cranking or running. This will tell us if there is no ground pulse to look at the PCM and if there is ground pulse to look at the coils or plugs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced all coils aND plugs, should I look into a pcm

No need to replace anything until you find out what if any signals to the coils are missing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a boost or vacuum leak it crank sensor

Neither of those things can result in some coils not providing spark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take a volt meter too the coil wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the coils that are missing there is no ground pulse it's steady power

Thanks, ***** ***** we need to check that ground pulse at the back of the PCM connector using a pen to go in beside the wire so the PCM is still plugged up. If the ground pulse is not there either but is on the cylinder 4578 then it is the PCM to blame. Do you need a wire diagram, I sent an offer on the 17th that allows me to attach one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you Just tell me what the numbers are for the Pins I need to check on the pcm

Pins 1-26-27-52-53-78-79-104 are the coil pins at the PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you I'll check tomorrow

Your welcome