Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2005 Ford Escape - need to know exactly where the heater

Customer Question

2005 Ford Escape - need to know exactly where the heater motor relay is - how to access it and how to identify it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The blower motor resistor or the blower motor relay?

I only ask because the motor resistors burn out all of the time, while the relays rarely malfunction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
relay the resistors are fine
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Is it the hybrid model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - small V4
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The resistor on this model is tucked up under the dash. This is what Ford has published on it.

It's not very good, as it only shows the location, but not how to get to it. It can be reached under the driver's side of the dash, but their diagram doesn't show that very well. Let me see if I can find a better picture somewhere.

Might I ask what symptoms you are getting that makes you suspect the relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blower motor checks out fine, switch checks out fine sometimes the motor won't come on unless you turn switch off and on - the only thing left to check is relay
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That's all I can find from ford. It's under the driver side dash to the right of the steering wheel but I can't find a picture. It just pulls straight out of the socket like a fuse. The replacement just pushes back in.

I found a note that lists that Ford and AllData list it under the dash, but some mechanics have found it in the under-hood junction box in the "R6" slot.

Does the blower work if you turn the switch to the highest setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't matter what position the switch is in - no go unless I turn it off and on - and like I said the switch, resistors and motor all check out fineThanks for info I will take it from here
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - will do maybe later
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional information. I hope that I have been of some assistance and would appreciate a positive rating if it have. Thanks!