AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

04 Ford ranger passenger side power window goes up not down.

Customer Question

04 Ford ranger passenger side power window goes up not down . Put in new motor and regulator assy. still bad
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. This is usually a problem with the master switch, or less often, a broken wire in the rubber boot between the driver door where the wires go from the door to under the dash. Is it not functioning with either switch? driver door master switch or the passenger switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no , neither one

Ok.. Have you tried plugging in a different switch in the driver door to see if it works with a different master switch? Or have you tested the switch to see if it's ok? if not I will give you the pinout diagram to test it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have no extra switch . 5 pins on switch, no idea what they are supposed to do.

OK. when i get in in a couple hours I will send you over the information to test it

alright. here is the information to test your switch. let me know what you come up with.

Did you test the switch? what was the outcome?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced the master switch-- no good but everything worked briefly w/drivers door open---so seems to be a broken wire in boot

That's a pretty common problem. That was the next step after confirming that the window switch was working. Next, as you know, is to inspect those wires. If they all look good then it means the wire is broken inside the wire shield and you will need a continuity tester and test every wire until you find your bad wire. Or, you can just pull the boot back and mess with each wire while trying to toggle the switch until you find the wire that, when messed with, makes the window work. Good luck and let me know how it goes.